Volunteer with Bikes Not Bombs!
Bikes Not Bombs simply couldn't function without our tremendous volunteer support. There are many ways to get involved:
- Register for Volunteer Night, held on Wednesday evenings from 6-9 PM.
- Apply to be a Volunteer Apprentice and assist with Bikes Not Bombs' key operations at our Hub (administrative offices) and Bike Shop & Training Center. Shifts are available Monday through Saturday.
- Help out at a special event, such as a container loading or bike drive.
If you are volunteering on site, please wear clothing that you don't mind getting dirty; closed-toed footwear is required to ensure the safety of all program participants.
Volunteer Night is scheduled to resume Wednesday, July 6th, 2022. Please follow our website or social media for more updates closer to the date.
Volunteer Night runs from 6:00-9:00 PM on Wednesday evenings. Any schedule changes will be posted on our website.
Pre-registration is required. Spots are guaranteed for up to 20 registrants.
- Pre-registration is required.
- All skill-levels and ages are welcome! Youth under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Spots are available for the first 20 registrants.
- Try to wear clothes that can get dirty. Closed-toed footwear is required to ensure the safety of all program participants.
- Occasionally, Volunteer Night will be canceled due to weather or a holiday. Such cancelations will appear in our events list on the home page.
Work may include the following common tasks:
- "Flattening" bikes -- turning the handle bars sideways and the pedals inside-out so that the bikes fit easily into a shipping container to send overseas in our international programs.
- "Stripping" bikes -- taking all the parts off of a frame (needs to be done for bikes that have some broken pieces).
- Sorting parts
- Building up bikes
- General cleaning, housekeeping, and other tasks!
A volunteer coordinator will show you what to do, and no experience is required.
Bringing a group
Please schedule groups with us at least 2 weeks in advance. Contact Andrew Ahern at email@example.com.
Due to our limited capacity, not all group volunteering requests can be accommodated, and we can only accommodate groups of 5 or fewer people.
Bikes Not Bombs is currently at maximum volunteer capacity for the following Volunteer Apprentice positions: Bike Recycling Apprentice, Mechanic Apprentice, Sales Apprentice. We are not accepting applications for any of the positions listed above.
Bikes Not Bombs offers six unique volunteer apprenticeship opportunities. Please click on each title to view the corresponding volunteer job description.
- Admin & Outreach Apprentice - Provide general administrative support, engage the cycling and social justice community to grow our base of supporters.
- Bike Recycling Apprentice - Process bicycles and various parts for international shipping and other bike distribution programs.
- Bike School Apprentice - Directly support the Bike School Coordinator and Youth Apprentices with the development and implementation of bicycle education curriculum (Completion of a previous Bike School program is required. Applicants must be able to pass a Criminal Offender Record Information [CORI] check.)
- Community Organizer Apprentice - Support Bikes Not Bombs' youth organizing and advocacy efforts (BOCA).
- Mechanic Apprentice - Build up recycled and refurbished bicycles for sale and for use in our distribution and education programs
- Sales Apprentice - Greet and assist customers, organize special orders, facilitate bike donation intake, inventory management and organization.
How to apply:
- Submit your interest on the Volunteer Interest Form to indicate your preferences and availability
- Submit the Volunteer Application and your resume (if available) indicating the specific role/s you're interested in and other required information/permissions. The application form will be sent to you by a member of BNB staff.
After receiving both your Volunteer Interest Form and the Volunteer Application, we will hold a phone interview to discuss your application and placement.
We are recruiting volunteers for our 35th Annual Bike-A-Thon on September 11th, 2022. Volunteer roles include: assisting with our valet bike parking, setting up the event materials in Stony Brook, or staffing the rest stops along our routes!