Job Posting: Senior Director of Development & Operations
Bikes Not Bombs uses the bicycle as a vehicle for social change. We reclaim thousands of bicycles each year. We create local and global programs that provide skill development, jobs, and sustainable transportation. Our programs mobilize youth and adults to be leaders in community transformation. Each year we collect roughly 6,000 used bicycles and tons of used parts from our supporters around Greater Boston and New England. We ship most of these bikes overseas to economic development projects through our International Programs in Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean. Bikes that don't get shipped often land in our Youth Programs where teens learn bicycle safety and mechanics skills in the process of earning bikes to keep for themselves. Our retail Bike Shop also reconditions and sells some of the donated bikes that we receive, employing many graduates of our programs. The shop's profit from the bicycle sales, parts sales, and repairs goes towards funding our youth and international work. BNB is 33 years-old and has an annual budget of $1.5 million.
The ideal candidate for the Senior Director of Development & Operations position is a strategic, personable, and highly organized professional who has responsibility for operations, fundraising, communications, events, and serves as an enthusiastic ambassador of BNB’s mission. The position requires both an ability to think strategically about the “big picture” and execute plans with strong analytical skills and attention to detail. The Senior Director of Development & Operations has three direct reports, works closely with the Board of Directors, and reports to the Executive Director.
- Exercise responsibility for operations, fundraising, communications, and events
- Work with staff and Board Members to develop and implement annual budgets and revenue plans
- Supervise, mentor, and evaluate the Communications Manager, Collections Manager, and Operations Manager
- Coordinate and facilitate Development/Communications team meetings and workplans
- Co-facilitate the fundraising committee, a joint committee of staff and Board Members
- Work in partnership with the Executive Director to maintain and grow portfolio of donors who give more than $1,000 annually, including those who give through multi-year pledges
- Oversee fundraising events and campaigns, including BNB’s annual fundraising breakfast, the Bike-A-Thon, direct mail, and the annual Phone-A-Thon
- Manage grant calendar, conduct prospect research, and write all grants and grant reports to foundations and institutional funders, currently about 20-30 per year
- Provide vision and oversight to improve operational systems, including office and facilities
- Support strategy for in-kind donations, namely the donation of used bicycles
- Strive for organizational excellence and sustainability by working with and serving as a sounding board for the Executive Director on a variety of management issues
Required Competencies & Qualifications:
- 3-5 years experience leading fundraising programs at nonprofit organizations
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both written and verbal, with and a high comfort level presenting and serving as ambassador of BNB’s mission
- Effective project manager with the ability to set priorities, manage workplans, meet deadlines, and drive outcomes for oneself and others
- Experience organizing successful events that involve multiple constituencies
- Excellent judgement and decision making skills
- Natural relationship builder with experience cultivating relationships with major donors
- Experience managing budgets, creating financial reports, and making decisions based on financial reports
- Ability to write compelling materials, including grant proposals, reports, and direct mail
- Self-motivated, resourceful, creative, and flexible
- Commitment to excellence and continued improvement
- Ability to train, mobilize, inspire, and support individuals and build consensus within teams
- Mission driven and committed to BNB mission and guiding principles
Additional Desired Experience:
- Experience overseeing a large in-kind donation program
- Experience with capital campaigns
- Experience overseeing office operations
Please provide a resume and cover letter that includes where you learned of the position and a description of how your qualifications match BNB’s needs. Applications should be emailed to email@example.com and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please include “Senior Director of Development & Operations” and your full name in the subject line. The compensation package for this position includes an annual salary of $43,000-48,000.
Constituent leadership is central to the mission of BNB and is highlighted in BNB’s current Strategic Plan. As such, BNB is seeking to more fully represent our community and constituencies, particularly low-income communities and communities of color, so as to amplify that voice and provide an opportunity for our constituency to participate in the overall direction and leadership of the organization. As such, we actively encourage candidates from broadly diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Bikes Not Bombs is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.